Sunday, November 12, 2017

Hungry Panda - watercolor

Day 12 of the Oriental art daily painting challenge. It's Sunday and I was so busy skurrying here and running there, so when I finally got home, I was exhausted ... but the daily painting submission still had to be painted. Pretty exhausting cornering time every day for a month, and today I wasn't in the mood for art, but a challenge is a challenge. Once I sat down to a hot pot of tea and started sketching, the calming Zen mood of night painting kicked in. And in outcome, I have a piece that I quite like. After taking a picture of the painting and seeing it on my iPad, I was able to better visualize places I need to fix or improve on. Note to self: take a pict and then fix "weak" areas before putting the paints away. Live and learn!

Oh, and this painting totally fits the Oriental Art Supply group I'm painting for -- all materials as well as theme is on the line of Oriental painting. Until now I've been mostly painting on various kinds of watercolor paper, but the Hungry Panda is done on shikishi (a Japanese rice paper mounted on a stylish board) with Marie's Chinese watercolors and Chinese ink and painted with a bamboo brush = all paints, inks, papers and brushes were Asian. The OASlife group will be happy to see me finally migrate over to their style of painting :)

Hungry Panda
Marie's watercolors and Chinese ink on shikishi, and painted with a bamboo brush
18cm x 21cm
Somewhat referenced Roger Bonnick's watercolor panda

No comments:

Post a Comment