Friday, November 3, 2017

Chinese Watercolors - An Economy of Strokes

Day 3 or the Oriental Art Supply (OAS) daily Asian-style painting challenge. And here is my first attempt at the economy of strokes employed by Chinese and Asian watercolorists. Hmm, it takes some thought before the brush is laid down to the paper. Also it takes careful mixing of color and tone. Too dark or too much (or little) water on the brush, the balance is off. Great practice for watercolorists!

practice .......... practice ......... practice

This one was my best but I'd already muddled up the paper so didn't post this one for the OAS Challenge.


Not too bad either. Actually it looks better dry than while I was painting. There is hope for me!
My Korean calligraphy practice paper was too thin to use with watercolors, so tried Strathmore rough watercolor paper but it was too textured and wasn't good for the one-stroke Asian painting style. Ended up using plain copy paper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment