Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Golden Koi

Day 21 of the November painting challenge, and my Asian-style contribution for tonight is Golden Koi. First I painted the shikishi board with three colors of blue (Marie's watercolors) and let that dry overnight. Then today I sketched out the koi and water and painted it with Finetec metallic watercolor paints. But somehow when I got the metallics on the board with the blue background, there just wasn't enough contrast, so with SWC ShinHan professional watercolor peacock blue I outlined the koi and scattered blue water bubbles, and somehow that seemed to provide the necessary dimension and color contrast. 

Golden Koi
Finetec metallic watercolors on shikishi board; accents in SWC peacock blue
18cm x 21cm
Reference 1 and Reference 2

No comments:

Post a Comment