Saturday, November 11, 2017

Chickadees on Rice Paper Fan

Day 11, November 11 aka Peppero Day - names because peppero sticks are long and, according to creative Korean thinking, resemble the 11.11 of today's month and date.

Anyway, the Oriental Art Supply November painting challenge continues. Tonight I tried using a totally new medium: iridescent paints my mom gave me a year ago. (Shame on me for not opening them and using them before.) Had fun playing around with them, but they don't create contrast so used M Graham watercolor paints for the bird, stems and most obvious green leaves. Also touched up the edges of the stems and the birds with a Chinese Xeno calligraphy brush pen, small. Had to use it last as it's not waterproof. Those tiny black accents really sharpened the sparrows, but still, something's lacking...


Wasn't liking how the first fan was turning out so tried painting another. Well, while I like the sparrows on one fan much better (got the eye right, what do you know?!), I like the flowers of the other one better, less messy. Like I said, more practice needed, but these things have great potential!


Mixed media: Chinese rice paper fan with iridescent and M Graham watercolor paints
along with touches of Chinese Xeno calligraphy brush pen, small. 

No comments:

Post a Comment