Thursday, January 25, 2018

Daniel Smith 240-color Chart

Daniel Smith has an extensive selection of watercolors, and while I can look online to see the color charts of others, sometimes it's hard to tell about intensity and mixing qualities of certain colors or even about how it looks in comparison with colors in other brands I'm more familiar with, so I ordered the DS 240-color-dot cards to paint out the sample of watercolors for myself.

If you turn the above chart 90-degrees to the left,
the 4 groups of colors are exact representations of the 4 DS 240-color dot-cards. 

The blues, greens and earth tones got my closest attention as I'm most interested in making animal paintings. One color that I was really looking forward to testing out was Yavapai, a yellow-brown ochre-like color; I wanted to see how it compared with raw sienna and goethite, but from this chart and looking at online samples I'm thinking that Monte Amiata might be a better color choice as Yavapai seems a bit browner than what I'm looking for. However, still not sure as Yavapai was NOT included in the 240-color selection. Bit disappointed, but I did learn a LOT and made shifts in what colors I would and would not get in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment