Sunday, March 26, 2017

Bird Woodblock Carving

Made my second weekend-long visit to the Gopanhwa (Ancient Asian Woodblock Prints) Museum and Temple-stay. In the program are three hands-on activities using woodblocks: woodblock printing on a t-shirt, carving one's own woodblock, and then embossing booklet covers plus printing inner pages with one's own woodblock and other woodblocks before sewing the booklet together. The highlight experiential activity for me is the carving of the woodblock. I don't know what kind of celestial bird this represents but the design is kind of cute -- not my design, by the way, just a small woodblock at the museum that appeared more interesting than the fish and the butterfly for beginners. As for the wild edges, that was accidental. I was under time constraints so didn't put much thought into carving the edges well and am actually impressed with the wild electrical force emanating from the bird. 


4 3/4" x 6 1/4" woodblock

No comments:

Post a Comment